Recently Mozilla announced the launch of the Firefox web browser in its new version 64, as well as the mobile version of Firefox 64 for the Android platform.
In this new version a new interface has been proposed that resembles a task manager, simplifies the assessment of resource consumption by individual pages and additions, and allows tabs to be closed without leaving the page.
Table of Contents
What's new in Firefox 64
To call the page "about: performance", a separate button has been added to the main menu. In the future they plan to continue improving the page.
The layout of the about: crash page has been completely redesigned, where you can now keep track of sent and unsent error reports, as well as delete accumulated reports from the local drive.
The ability to simultaneously select multiple tabs has been implementedas (Shift or Ctrl + click) to move, mute, add, close tabs.
As well Add-on contextual recommendation system added They deserve the attention of functions and services.
The decision to select a recommendation is made based on the user's activity on the Web and the navigation functions in the browser.
For example, if a user often opens multiple tabs of a certain type and uses them often, Firefox will recommend that they use the Pinned Tabs feature.
All decisions about the selection of recommendations are made locally, without the data being sent.
Extended Recommendations are currently activated for US users only, so for other countries this feature would be coming soon.
As well added the ability to remove a plugin via context menu displayed via the add button on the panel.
In the interface for inspecting the multilayer layout of page elements (CSS Grid Inspector), tools have been added to work with multiple overlapping CSS grids (up to three CSS grids are supported simultaneously).
This added support for CSS-properties scrollbar color scrollbar width and for adjusting the color and width of the scrollbar.
New improvements for Firefox 64
Meanwhile in responsive design mode the selected device type is guaranteed to be saved between sessions.
Of the other characteristics that can be highlighted:
- Added support for a set of Interaction Media Function CSS extensions to determine the presence of input devices and their capabilities. This includes the pointer attribute: thick to check for a mouse, touch screen, or other device with a pointer.
- The WebKit engine specific property »-webkit-appearance« has been implemented, which allows to use the native theme of the current operating system when displaying an item;
- The Window.screenLeft and Window.screen Top properties were added as Window.screenX and Window.screenY analogs.
- For ServiceWorker, the ServiceWorkerContainer.startMessages () method is implemented, and for WebRTC, the RTCIceCandidateStats.relayProtocol property.
- For resources downloaded via CSS (for example, background-image: url ("http: //…")), you can now define individual Referer processing rules via the Referrer-Policy HTTP header.
- Browser plugins added browser.menus.overrideContext () API to implement custom style of context menus.
In the version for the Android platform, a new item has been added to the menu to submit complaints about the incorrect display of sites in the mobile version of Firefox.
How to get the new Firefox 64 update?
The fastest way to get this new Firefox 64 update It is by downloading the tarball that Mozilla offers directly from its download site so it can be compiled and installed on your own.
Otherwise, you will have to wait a few days for the update to be reflected in the browser or in the repositories of your Linux distribution.