dropbox It was one of the first and most famous cloud storage platforms. Many users use this type of service to be able to have documents available anywhere or to make backup copies without having to depend on physical media that can be damaged, such as CDs, DVDs, etc. Be that as it may, warehousing services have grown in number and importance, and there are already plenty of alternatives.
On other occasions we have also talked about ownCloud, a free and interesting project to implement our own cloud, but in this case we will simply limit ourselves to presenting 6 good alternatives to Dropbox, some with clients for GNU / Linux operating systems and totally free, without going into creating our own cloud. Although this is something personal, due to needs, tastes or security issues, our selection is:
- MEGA: it is the successor of Megaupload. The German genius K. Dotcom knew how to create a service that would generate great controversy and would cause the FBI to close it down and indict him. But armed with lawyers and after paying his bail, the hacker re-created MEGA, however he got rid of it and now it is owned by the Chinese. However, we will have to be vigilant, because soon a new Dotcom project will come that aims to be even better. Despite the fact that MEGA seems to me to be one of the best free services that exist now… Especially for its 50GB in the free version !!!
- SpiderOak: MEGA is also safe, since it has an encryption system, and if you like to have security, this new service also offers you encryption on your storage. Compared to Dropbox, it offers 2GB in its free version and 100GB in the paid Pro.
- Tonido: it is a cloud storage service with secure access and that allows sharing links also like MEGA.
- pCloud: also available the app for the desktop in 32 and 64 bit systems like the previous one. It is another 10GB service for users who do not pay and with the possibility of expanding through payments.
- CloudMe: more of the same, in this case it has 19GB for free users, while for € 1 a month you can add 10GB more or 25 for 4 euros and reach 500GB if you pay € 30 a month.
- TeamDrive: encryption, it is a service with a client to synchronize Linux, with similar characteristics to the previous ones.
ConclusionMy recommendation is that you use MEGA or Google Drive if you do not have so many demands, wait for the new Dotcom service (although it has already been delayed on several occasions ...). The reason is simple, apart from its benefits and advantages, the more famous the service, the less likely it will be closed as has happened with others ...