Linus Torvalds, the creator of the Linux kernel, is one of the most notable characters in the programming and computing scene. But not only for being one of the best programmers in history, but for his always controversial and politically uncorrect statements to which he has us accustomed. Many view his character negatively, but it is funny that there are people like that in the meantime politically correct.
Theo de Raadt is another of the leaders of open source projects that also has a somewhat difficult character, also Steve Jobs (like it more or less) was an atypical person, in fact, many great people in history have or have had unusual characters. But what we want to express in this article are 12 of the criticisms that Linus has made of technological projects:
- ARM SoC: the creator has expressed his dissatisfaction with the ARM SoCs, going so far as to say that «I hope the SoC ARM designers die in an incredibly painful accident. […] Gaah, Guys this whole ARM thing is a fucking pain in the ass.«.
- C ++: The C ++ programming language has been criticized, not only by Linus, but also by others like Richard Stallman. They bet on something more primitive, such as C. And their reasons will have… Of him he has said that «The fact is that C ++ compilers are not trustworthy (for their exception handling). […] C ++ is a horrible language«.
- GCC: the quintessential compiler on Linux, it has also been criticized by Linus. This is not at all unusual, we have seen how Linus is not shy even in criticizing distributions, projects that complement his system, manufacturers such as NVIDIA, etc. Of the GNU compiler you have said «GCC sucks»About one of the versions of this one.
- GNOME: the famous desktop environment has also been the victim of some of Linus's critical phrases. Of this he thinks that «... the reason I find GNOME limiting is because Is ». Or «I have yet to meet someone who likes the hell of a mess that is GNOME 3«.
- GNU Hurd: Hurd is the kernel that GNU never had and will never have at this rate. Much has been said about this project and Linus is no less: «I think Hurd is dead… "" Hurd isn't really a microkernel, he's an abomination that makes all other microkernels look bad«. «Bottom line: say NO TO DRUGS, and maybe you won't end up like Hurd's people«.
- GNU Emacs: the popular text editor used on UNIX and Unix-likes, including Linux, has also been targeted by the Torvalds language. «... an infinite number of monkeys writing in GNU Emacs will never make a good program.«. «… Emacs… is the devil's tool.«.
- HFS +: the filesystem developed by Apple has been criticized by the creator of Linux. «… OS X is in some ways worse than Windows at programming. Your filesystem is total and utter garbage«. «The real horrors of HFS + are not in the way that it is not a great filesystem, but in the way that it is actively designed to be a bad filesystem by people who thought they had good ideas.«. «Frankly, HFS + is probably the worst filesystem that has ever existed. Christ what the fuck is it .... ".
- Java: the programming language that Sun Microsystems created in 1995, is the recipient of phrases such as: «Essentially I see the Java engine slipping, it's going nowhere.""It has lost much of its potential in part due to the way Sun Microsystems has handled it«. «Java does not matter to me, what a terrible language!«
- Machine: The microkernel developed to replace BSD, used today as the basis for Mac OS X in the face of Steve Jobs' inability to hire Linus Torvalds to make Linux the OS X kernel, has made mistakes, at least in the eyes of Torvalds. «My personal opinion of Mach is not very good. Frankly, it's a piece of shit. Contains all the design mistakes that you can make, in even managed to invent some of his own crop«. «I maintain that Mach's people ... are incompetent idiots.«.
- MINIX: The Unix-like operating system that a professor at the University of Amsterdam created and that you will surely know, which served as inspiration for Linus to create Linux to solve its shortcomings, has of course been criticized. «Linux still outperforms MINIX in almost every area«. Referring to Professor Andrew Tanenbaum, who created MINIX, he said: 'Your job is to be a teacher and a researcher: A hell of a good excuse for some of the MINIX-damaged brains. «.
- solaris: It is one of the best operating systems, created by Sun and a tough competitor to GNU / Linux, although lately it has been surpassed by the latter. Linus Torvalds thinks that «Solaris / x86 is a joke ...«. «Many people still like Solaris, but I am in active competition with them, and so I hope they die.«.
- XML: W3C, the consortium responsible for HTML, also created the language for encoding documents called XML. But of this, Linus thinks negatively: «It's probably the worst designed format ever […] and it's usually a complete disaster.«. «XML sucks. Really. There are no excuses. XML is disgusting to be parsed by humans even for computers. There's just no reason this horrible crap exists.«.